LIGHTING IS THE ANTIMATOR OF SPACE!
Hello everyone! I hope you will benefit from my lighting post. The most important thing about interior lighting is the planning process…but, first, you must understand the three types of lighting used in residential lighting.
- Ambient lighting…this is the most used lighting as it is the “main” light in a space. Ambient lighting is your general lighting…for example…overhead lights such as recessed lights, chandelier lights are two of the most common.
- Task lighting…this lighting is just what the name implies….examples are: reading lamps, under cabinet lighting.
- Accent lighting: This type of lighting is very important for the overall layering of lights. Examples would be: Picture lights that shine directly on a picture, uplighting, sconces…..
Now that you know the three lighting options, it is time to make a plan…..CALL A LIGHTING EXPERT! IT’S WORTH THE MONEY.
If you must do the planning yourself….here are a few basic “rules”…If you know me, I do not follow rules, but here you go…
NOTE: these are MY rules and not copied from a lighting professional…
- Rule #1: You HAVE to plan AHEAD….Recessed lights or chandeliers?…if you are doing recessed lighting, you need to know how many and where to place them for the most impact and functionality….hint: call a lighting expert!
Task lighting…..what type (lamps, under cabinet lights) and how many….same with accent lighting….what type and how many and what are you trying to accent….
- Rule #2: Every room should have ambient lighting…recessed lighting is a great source …with LED lamps.
- Rule #3 You MUST layer your lighting!! By that I mean…choose your main lights(Ambient), next choose your task lights and finally choose your accent lighting…
When I design a home, I focus a lot of attention on the lighting…it’s that important….
I know this is all clear as mud….lighting can be a challenge…I hope this gives you a starting place with your own lighting…Please leave a comment or questions. As always, email me anytime at email@example.com. Stay tuned for round two of lighting 101.
Don’t be afraid to LIVE YOUR STYLE!!!
Until next time,
Be bold, be blessed and make a difference in someone’s life!